Posted at: 10/16/2012 10:57 PM
Updated at: 10/17/2012 3:00 PM
By: Steph Crock
FDA Investigates Dog Jerky Treats
(ABC 6 News) -- After a number of you contacted us telling us about your dogs getting sick from pet food, our team started investigating. We found hundreds of reports nationwide, even a woman in Austin who says her dog became extremely ill from dog treats.
"This past Saturday we gave her the treats before bed and an hour later she started vomiting. She vomited for 12 hours straight with blood in her vomit,” said Jennifer Novak.
This isn't the only time her dog, Kaytelyn, has gotten sick in recent months, and each time her vet told her, she had been poisoned.
Novak did her homework and said she thinks she knows the cause, chicken jerky treats.
"I found 10 to 13 brands that they're investigating, but the three main brands are Waggin Train Jerky Treats, Canyon Creek, and Milo's Kitchen Chicken Jerkys," said Novak. That’s exactly what she was feeding Kaytelyn.
"There’s some investigations going on with the FDA with some of these treats made in China," said Veterinarian Daniel Smith with the Albert Lea Veterinarian Clinic.
However, the only recall is Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats, for salmonella concerns. You won’t find that brand on the shelves anymore at stores, but what you will find, are all of the jerky treats that are being investigated by the FDA. They’re being sold with no warnings.
"The FDA has tested for numerous toxins and have found nothing that they can say is the ‘cause and effect,’ but they are over 2,200 cases reported in the last two years," said Dr. Smith.
He thinks it’s only a matter of time before they find something wrong.
"In other cases, they have actually developed kidney failure where there’s a toxin or some sort of that effect," he said.
He says dog owners should avoid chicken jerky treats all together.
"They don't need treats, plus treats that come from China, whether it be a raw hide chew or a chicken strip, I tell folks to avoid China made treats all together," said Smith.
"I just think they need to figure this out really quick before other dogs pass away," said Novak.
The FDA says it's been aware of the issue since 2007 and continues to investigate. If you'd like more information on the treats in question, we've posted information under our links tab.