Updated: 04/02/2014 7:36 AM
Created: 04/01/2014 4:54 PM KAALtv.com
April 2nd is Whole Grain Sampling Day and it’s a great time of year to do some spring cleaning! Clean out your pantry and fill it with whole grains so you can rest assured you can include them in meals. Jen Haugen, Hy-Vee dietitian, will share some simple switches to help you on your way to eating more whole grains.
Huevos Rancheros Verdes
Recipe adapted from www.eatingwell.com
All you need:
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine lettuce, onion, cilantro, 1 teaspoon oil, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl, set aside. Combine beans and salsa in another bowl.
3. Coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Place on a large baking sheet in 4 sets of overlapping pairs. Spread 1/3 cup bean mixture on each pair and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cheese. Bake 10 minutes.
4. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan, taking care not to break the yolks. Season with remaining salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for 5-7 minutes for soft-set yolks.
5. To assemble, place egg on top of each pair of tortillas and top with a generous serving of the lettuce mixture.