Updated: 03/20/2014 5:39 PM
Created: 03/20/2014 10:21 AM KAALtv.com
By: Leslie Dyste
Firefighters responded to a house fire Thursday morning on Lafayette Bay in Orono.
Orono Police tell KSTP the family who lives in the home is currently on vacation in Europe.
Police say the fire started on the porch. A cause is still being investigated. Officials initially said there could have been an issue with the gas meter.
Rebecca Virden with CenterPoint Energy says natural gas was not the cause of the fire. She says during the fire part of the house collapsed and damaged the meter, causing natural gas to leak and ignite the gas meter.
Investigators determined the fire started in the basement - not at the gas meter, according to Virden.
Chopper 5 video showed smoke and flames coming from the home, as crews continued to work at the scene. No one was injured in the fire. Police believe the home is a total loss.
At this point, additional details have not been released.