Score Big in Your Chili Bowl with NuVal!
As temperatures cool down and with football season under way, what better way to score big with your family and friends than with chili? Chili recipes vary greatly among regions of the country, families and individuals, but with the NuVal Nutritional Scoring System at Hy-Vee, you can make sure your chili always scores big when it comes to nutrition.
Your Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian, Jen Haugen, will share ways that you can increase the nutrition value of your chili by trading up for better NuVal scores!
What is NuVal?
The NuVal Nutritional Scoring System is a simple and quick way to choose more nutritious foods – at a glance. Look at the price tag on items at Hy-Vee stores for a number from 1 to 100; the higher the score, the better the nutrition. Foods are scored by a process of weighing their potential to provide good nutrition vs. their nutrition risks.
Simple Swaps for Better NuVal Scores
Why not load your chili up with fruits or vegetables as well?
Add some of these nutrition superstars to help your guests have a more filling and more nutritious chili:
Yellow or white onion – NuVal score of 93
Bell pepper – NuVal score of 94
Fresh sliced mushrooms – NuVal score of 93
Jalapeno peppers – NuVal score of 99
Blueberries (Yes, blueberries in chili!) – NuVal score of 100
Serves 8 (1 cup each)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
All you need
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pkg (1.25 oz) chili seasoning mix
- 1 can (16 oz) beans in chili-seasoned sauce, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Hunt’s diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz) Ro*Tel original diced tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
All you do
- Cook beef and onion in large saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until beef is crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Stir in seasoning mix. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 10 minutes, stirring several times.
Nutrition per serving: 204 calories, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 33 g cholesterol, 793 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 15 g protein. Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 18%, Calcium 7%, Iron 11%.
Source: ConAgra Foods
Quick Turkey Chili
Adapted from www.honeysucklewhite.com
All You Need:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 package 99% Fat Free Ground Turkey
- 2 (14.5 oz each) cans diced tomatoes, no-salt-added, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added chili beans in chili sauce
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2/3 cup shredded 2%-milk cheddar cheese
- ½ cup plain fat-free Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
All You Do:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble and cook turkey in skillet until it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili beans and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese, Greek yogurt and green onion.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 20g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 6g, Protein 32g.
Daily Nutritional Values: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%
Check out www.hy-vee.com for more delicious recipes.
Jen Haugen represents Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community. Jen is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.