Posted at: 09/16/2013 4:59 PM
From Dr Oz - Avocado and Black Bean Tortas
Avocado and Black Bean Tortas
This sandwich fills your protein needs, has lots of fiber and is full of flavor.
- 1 1/2 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 large radishes, thinly sliced
- Red onion, a few thinly sliced pieces
- 1 can (15-oz) refried black beans, warmed or at room temp
- 1 or 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- sriracha cashew cream sauce from this recipe, as spread
- 3 crusty or soft sandwich rolls, split
- 1-2 limes
- Hot pepper sauce, as garnish, optional
Slice the bread and remove some of the soft bread from the inside of the top slice, making a slightly hollow area for the sandwich filling (this is optional depending on what your rolls are like).
Spread a good amount of the refried black beans over the bottom half of each roll. Top with avocado, radishes, red onion and cabbage. Spread your condiment of choice on the top portion.
Squeeze some lime over the bottom portion and cover with the top half of the rolls. Serve immediately, or wrap and pack to go (if you can get out of the door without eating them). Makes three sandwiches.
Those who are eating gluten free can turn this recipe into tacos using corn tortillas.