Posted at: 07/18/2013 12:36 PM
Updated at: 07/18/2013 12:41 PM
It's Blistering Hot Outside, Tips on How to Beat the Heat
- Use air conditioning or spend time in air conditioned locations
- Take a cool bath or shower
- Minimize direct exposure to the sun
- Limit your time outdoors as much as possible; take frequent breaks if you must be outside
- Stay hydrated-drink water or non-alcoholic fluids
- Wear loose fitting, light colored clothes
- Check on your neighbors, friends and family members-especially those who are older and/or with health issues
- Do not leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle, even with the windows rolled down, even for a few minutes
- Make sure outdoor pets/animals have water and shelter
Signs of heat-related illnesses vary but can include heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea or vomiting, and fainting.
Be sure to be safe, and cool on a day like today. Cooler weather moves into the area beginning Friday, although it will still be in the upper 80's.