Posted at: 07/15/2013 3:59 PM
From The Chew - Art Smith's Chicken and Apples with Blue Cheese-Yogurt Dressing
Chicken and Apple Salad
Scale back on hidden calories in your go-to salad dressings by making a homemade version using Greek yogurt.
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped Chives
- freshly ground Black Pepper
For the Chicken:
- 2 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup chopped Dried Apricots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Red Onion
- 1 Celery stalk (peeled and sliced thin on the bias)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
For the Dressing: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, olive oil, and lemon juice. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the blue cheese and chives and season with freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use. (This dressing can be made 3 days in advance).
For the Chicken: Place the chicken breasts and buttermilk in a medium saute pan and bring to a simmer. The buttermilk will appear to curdle or break - this is okay, as the milk will be discarded once the chicken is cooked. Simmer the chicken in the milk for 20 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Remove from heat and lift the chicken from the buttermilk. Refrigerate the chicken for 30 minutes.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the apple, dried apricots, red onion, celery, and lemon juice to the bowl and mix together until combined. Fold in the dressing until fully incorporated and season with salt it desired.
Divide the chicken salad among 4 plates.
1. The buttermilk may curdle while poaching but this is okay!
2. You can soak the red onion in cold, salted water to reduce the strong onion taste.