Posted at: 04/10/2013 11:25 AM
Updated at: 04/10/2013 4:33 PM
New Veteran's Home Proposed For Preston
ST. PAUL – Republican State Representative Greg Davids, of Preston, is heading up legislation that would establish a new veterans home in Preston.
“Constituents from Preston came to me with this idea,” says Davids. “After talking with them, I agreed that we should try to make this dream a reality. Establishing a new veterans home in this state can be a lengthy process, so it’s time to get the ball rolling.”
Davids’ bill calls for a facility with at least 70 beds. Under the current version of the bill, the federal government would also provide 65% of the funding. The other 35% would be contributed by non-state sources such as local units of government, veterans’ organizations and corporations and other business entities.
“Preston would meet the necessary state qualifications as its more than 75 miles from the nearest facility in Hastings," says Davids. "And it would serve veterans from southeastern Minnesota, southwest Wisconsin, and northeast Iowa and bring new job opportunities for our residents.”