Posted at: 01/22/2013 10:59 AM
Malfunctioning Furnace Starts House Fire
(ABC 6 NEWS) - A malfunctioning furnace apparently caused a fire that destroyed an Austin home.
That word came today from fire investigators.
It happened early Monday at a home on 12th street northeast in Austin.
A man in the house was awakened by smoke pouring out of heating vents and smoke alarms going off.
The wind chill was around 40 below at the time, and fire fighters said they had to deal with frozen hoses and nozzles and other equipment problems.
All five people in the house got out, but an eleven month old girl was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The house was a total loss.