Posted at: 05/22/2012 2:12 PM
Updated at: 05/23/2012 9:13 AM
Email to a Friend
Pack a Colorful Picnic
Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian Jen Haugen will educate viewers on tips to pack a colorful picnic basket.
Packing a colorful picnic basket ensures a nutrient-packed and health-promoting meal.
Pack a perfect meal including all the colors of the rainbow for something fresh and simple!
• Chicken Pesto Wraps: whole grain tortillas, pesto mayonnaise, rotisserie chicken, shredded carrots, yellow peppers and romaine lettuce leaf
• Broccoli-Bacon Salad (see recipe)
• Memorial Day Jar Dessert: layer strawberries, blueberries, light whipped topping and one vanilla cupcake split in half in ½ pint jar. Screw on lids and stick in the cooler. Jars are for any time of year, not just canning season – they make the perfect portable dessert to put into the cooler.
1) Wash your hands.
2) Keep raw meats and ready-to-eat foods separate.
3) Cook to proper food temperatures.
4) Keep foods below 40 degrees or above 140 degrees to prevent foodborne illness.
Serves 6 (about 1 cup each).
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total: 20 minutes
All you need
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Hy-Vee sugar
4 cups finely chopped broccoli
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
3 slices cooked Hy-Vee bacon, crumbled
3 tablespoons raisins
Freshly ground pepper to taste
All you do
Whisk garlic, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add broccoli, water chestnuts, bacon, raisins and pepper; stir to coat with the dressing.
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Nutrition facts per serving: 106 calories; 5g fat (1g sat, 2g mono); 11mg cholesterol; 13g carbohydrate; 3g added sugars; 4g protein; 3g fiber; 194mg sodium; 196mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (74% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Jen Haugen represents Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community. Jen is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or “Like” Jen on Facebook @JenHaugenRD.